My Thoughts on Vanity / Pop Stars / Cosmetic Surgery / on being an Artist

One time someone told me that being an artist was vain... I replied, "yeah in a way...", I didn't disagree, but also I thought earlier that it was also a healthy persuit.. But upon looking at people who do persue the arts in terms of stardom, fame, financial support, you have to balance your virtues, with your vices... Otherwise it will destroy you.... Also I was never a fan of Dolly Parton except I grew up with her on T.V.  But her public image had to enforce her vanity and lust for beauty by getting cosmetic surgeries, like a typical Pop star... It's a common sacrifice to remain attractive, when it really stems from insecurity, and the failure to see the wisdom, on the lines of your face.... My wish is to age gracefully, quoted by Robert Crumb, who looked at himself and viewed his image as a downtrodden ugly nerd...

Comments