Starbucks Coffee House 1998 (poem)

The day I moved back from the City,
I heard Starbucks opened down the street...
I mean I love coffee shops,
I used to go during college,
Because I left my friends behind...

I'd go to coffee shops to socialize...
Meet people... Open mics...  After all,
Coffee shops are the center of community...
And the art world...
But Starbucks is corporate,
But I did not care....

The late 90's was a fair time....
Great music, punky people,
Etc...
On the patio they'd smoke pot, and cigarettes...
Drink coffee, and cappuccinos...
The view incredible...
A forest in the far background...
Trees galore...
A patio with a glorious view....

I sat by the window, drawing and writing poetry...
Listening to Beth Orton,
And wonderful music of the times....
I met several interesting people,
The baristas judgemental even then,
Snobbish, but accomodating....
I drew, and drew, hoping to forge a career...
Comics, and dark art, inspired by my favorite pop stars...
It was a fair time, 
They were the carefree days...


Comments

Popular Posts